top of page

Our History

Cuba City lies on the border of Lafayette and Grant  counties in southwestern Wisconsin.  In 1851, Father Samuel Mazzuchelli founded St. Rose of Lima Parish (once called St. Rose of the Prairie) to serve Irish families in this lead mining region.

The parish’s first church was a brick building located about one mile north of Cuba City on what is now called St. Rose Road.  Today, the parish cemetery is located there.  The original building was replaced by a wooden structure in 1861.  In 1895, a third church building was erected for parishioners, this time in Cuba City proper. 

At that time, the parish census showed 45 Irish and 20 German families.  In 1916, as the parish grew, an elementary school was added.  Dominican sisters from the Sinsinawa Mound served the school. 

Currently, the school has an enrollment of 115 students from Pre-K to grade eight, serving 63 families.

In 1968, a new church was built.  The cornerstones from both the 1851 and 1895 churches were incorporated into the building’s east wall.  The new building provides a beautiful, prayerful, and welcoming setting for worship and prayer.

A positive spirit exists among the parishioners.  Father David Flanagan (current pastor) said it well in our 2001 parish pictorial directory:  “The spirit and pride that was evident among Father Samuel Mazzuchelli and the first parishioners of St. Rose of the Prairie still exists today as we celebrate our 150th anniversary.  May we continue to build God’s kingdom together as we do our best to build a strong foundation for future generations.”

bottom of page